20 November 2014

Book Review - Beneath Beautiful By: Allison Rushby

Title: Beneath Beautiful
Author: Allison Rushby
Publisher: (November 1st, 2014)
From: Net Galley preview ARC
Format: eARC
Add to: Goodreads
Order a copy: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, The Book Depository, Amazon UK

NOTE: This is a "New Adult" novel. Due to mature content this title is recommended for ages 17+

Synopsis: When a handsome stranger approaches Cassie Tavington in Paris's beautiful Père Lachaise cemetery, she has no idea who he is. It doesn't take long to find out. A whispered name from a passerby shocks her into the realisation that it's Cameron Callahan, high-profile modern artist, who she's busy showing around the cemetery.

Mortified, Cassie runs, but Cameron soon tracks her down. He's intent on having Cassie sit for him, but Cassie isn't sure. His provocative sculptures are often in the media, which isn't somewhere that Cassie, the daughter of a politician, should be.

But there's no denying the attraction between the pair, and Cassie soon finds herself in a strange whirlwind of a relationship. Between Paris, London and New York, Cassie finds sitting for an artist isn't as simple as it seems. There's much to contend with—including Cameron's ex-girlfriend, Plum, her own father, and her new love interest, James.

With the clock ticking down to the opening of Cameron's new exhibition, Cassie must struggle to decide just how much of herself she can give over to Cameron and his sculpture while still remaining whole.

Review: 4 stars - Adult content- not for younger readers.

21 year old Cassandra (Cassie) Tavington is a children’s author who is struggling to write her new novel- even trying a new genre of writing has led to writers block.

When a chance meeting with famous sculptor Cameron Callahan opens a world of opportunities for her; an unsure Cassie has to decide whether to follow her head or her heart.

Cassie is quietly reading to herself in Paris’ Père Lachaise cemetery when she’s approached by a man dressed head to toe in black. He quotes the first line of Moby Dick (her book) and asks her for the directions to an obscure dead person’s monument.

Only after he’s recognised by a passerby that Cassie realises that the man she’s shown to the monument is acclaimed artist Cameron Callahan. Cassie flees the cemetery.

Upon meeting Cameron unexpectedly at a café the day after, Cameron asks Cassie to sit for him as a model. Cameron is famous for his erotic art work and for his reputation as a sex obsessed madman.
Cassie feels out of her comfort zone with the request and with her father being a member of UK Parliament it could cause controversy. Cassie doesn’t want to upset her father by posing for one of Cameron’s sculptures, but she has been holding back and not doing things in her life because she had to keep a respectable image.

After discussing the opportunity with her sister and brother-in-law Cassie decides to accept Cameron’s offer and goes again everything she knows into the unknown.

This book shows that sometimes you have to step outside of your comfort zone to be completely free and find the real you. I’m not saying that life modelling is the way to do this for everyone but without a little push from one of the other characters in the book; Cassie would never have plucked up the courage to do what she did.

Things are sent to try you and although there may not seem like a reason at the time, there usually is.

The synopsis makes the book sound like it’s just a romance novel, which the base is there but to me it also came across as a coming of age novel. Starting life in your 20’s and getting to know the real you.
The cover doesn’t give anything away, in one respect I like this, but in another because it’s grey it’s quite pale in colour it’s not something that would automatically jump out at me from the shelf. Having said that in a way, the simplicity leaves you wondering what’s on the inside.

It was an easy to read book that I read quickly and enjoyed. I will definitely be checking out the author’s other books.


Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love