26 October 2012

Crossroads Tour: Judith Graves


Could you tell us a bit about – first as a writer, then as a reader – what the pull is for you when it comes to Paranormal/Supernatural characters & stories?

My interest in paranormal, horror, sci-fi and fantasy stories - as a reader - is why I write in those same genres, often fusing them together in (hopefully) new ways. I’ve always been drawn to tales of the unknown or thrilling adventures with terrifying twists. My love of such dreadfully fun stories has inspired me to write a few of my own.

I’m not saying I’m any good at it, but if I’d never read a story by Ray Bradbury or John Wyndham, hadn’t stayed up all night to finish a Stephen King novel, or been amazed at the wordplay of Edgar Allan Poe – then I wouldn’t have had the incentive to try.

Vampires will always hold a special place in my heart. While there are many variations of Vampires written, can you talk about what makes yours different?

Ah, the evolution of the vampire, a while ago I did a vlog rant about just this topic if you’re interested: http://youtu.be/gest9o8Sslg

Vamps, as well as other mythological creatures continue to be relevant only if they are capable of change. They have to modernize, keep up with the Jones as it were, or risk being left behind. And so we are able to rediscover these legendary creatures and alter them to suit the needs of our time. The great mythologist, Joseph Campbell, has written many volumes regarding the importance of mythos…and his work is enlightening.

In the SKINNED series there are more traditional vampires – unable to daywalk, feast on the blood of live human victims, as well as more “modern” variations, batting under the radar, drinking bagged blood, as well as the character Wade – a vampire / witch hybrid. Ah, hybridization – the last great tool in a fiction writer’s arsenal – if one creature can’t do a thing – then mash it up with another. ;)

I predict vampires, well, all of the mythological beasties we adore, will continue to shift with our changing societal norms and popular culture trends – because we need them around to show us what we could be, what we may be turning into, and what we fear we’ve already become.

Can you tell us a bit about writing Killer’s Instinct and how the process was in writing this title with your co-author Dawn Dalton?

Killer’s Instinct has been a great experiment, both in terms of collaborating, as well as in publishing. Dawn and I have a similar “write tight” style that should ensure readers enjoy a fast-paced, cliffhanger zombie-filled ride.

The book will be released as a six part, e-serial, with a new episode released every two months for one year. Ultimately, the story will be compiled into a paperback.

Here’s the blurb:

Where there is NO life – there’s Hope…

Hope has always been a bit of a freak. But when her mother crawls from her grave and her undead corpse goes MIA, Hope’s last thread of normal snaps with a vengeance.

Enrolling in a militia-style school for monster slayers seems the only course of action. And the best bet at tracking her mother down.

And lastly, how about a fun question? Being that it’s the scariest time of the year – Halloween – what’s your favorite?

Scary Book: It by Stephen King
Scary Movie: Exorcist
Halloween Candy: Halloween Kisses
Costume from Halloween’s Past: Zombie nun. (Don’t ask.)


Title: Skin of My Teeth (Skinned, #3)
Author: Judith Graves
Publisher: Leap Books, 2013
Add to: Goodreads

Synopsis: HOW TO PLAY

· draw a card from the deck
· kill or be killed
· and if you’re lucky, repeat…

Hidden agendas, deep, dark secrets, and monsters lurking around every locker. It’s business as usual at Redgrave High for Eryn and her crew of paranorm hunters – they plan to capture and cure Brit’s brother from his tormented existence, Eryn is reunited with her father’s beta, and Redgrave’s origins are revealed.

Although the two guys vying for Eryn’s heart just might have to up their game. Enter hot, wolven guy stage left. Is he the one Alec’s blood magic foretold? He is, if Eryn’s knocking pulse has anything to say about it. The tale-tell sound is driving Wade mad. But it’s Eryn’s move, and everyone is holding their breath.

A little healthy competition soon becomes all-out survival of the fittest as the crew are pitted against a pack of demons trading souls – for keeps. The student population is enamored with a new card game, Boroughs Quest. Kids are desperate to get their hands on gilded cards from a mysterious expansion deck, but when they do…

It’s all fun and games ’til somebody dies.




Find Judith Online:

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Order Judith's Books Online:

Amazon | Barnes and Noble | The Book Depository




GIVEAWAY!

How the Crossroads Tour Giveaway works

All the authors got together and decided, instead of each blog getting one or two titles to giveaway - they'd have a single grand prize - a real doozie. With that in mind each blogger is asked to encourage readers to answer the daily trivia/research question on the tour main page. (http://judithgraves.com/events/the-crossroads-tour/crossroads-2011/) At the end of the tour all answers have to be emailed to judithgraves@ymail.com by midnight on the 29th. 

So, it's your job, to head over to the mail tour page I've linked above, read the question and go find the answer in the posts for that day. Make sure you get your answers in by the deadline - October 29th at Midnight!

Entries will be put in a drawing and a winner chosen randomly.

And I bet you're wondering what the heck this amazing prize is? How about a FREE KINDLE PRELOADED with an eBOOK from each of the Crossroads authors???

The more questions you answer, the better, so be sure to check back each day!

Any questions? Please send them my way!

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an amazing, though heavy, read. That synopsis is ... dark, but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love