26 January 2010

Review: Shrinking Violet By: Danielle Joseph

Title: Shrinking Violet
Author: Danielle Joseph
Publisher: MTV Books, 320 Pages (May 5th, 2009)
From: The Book Depository

Synopsis: High school senior Teresa Adams is so painfully shy that she
dreads speaking to anyone in the hallways or getting called on in class.

But in the privacy of her bedroom with her iPod in hand, she rocks out - doing mock broadcasts for Miami's hottest FM radio station, which happens to be owned by her stepfather. When a slot opens up at The SLAM, Tere surprises herself by blossoming behind the mike into confident, sexy Sweet T - and to everyone's shock, she's a hit!

Even Gavin, the only guy in school who she dares to talk to, raves about the mysterious DJ's awesome taste in music. But when The SLAM announces a songwriting contest -- and a prom date with Sweet T is the grand prize - Sweet T's dream could turn into Tere's worst nightmare...

Review: 3.5 Stars - Shrinking Violet was a cute read. I was a shy person growing up, still am in many aspects of my life, so Tere was very likeable and I could really relate to what she faced on a day to day basis. She’s painfully shy to the point that she has only one friend and sticks to herself as much as she can. She tries to make herself invisible in the classroom for fear of being called on by a teacher.

Her mother has newly re-married. Her step father is the owner of one of the more popular radio stations in Miami. She wants nothing more then to be a radio DJ and is given the chance at an internship at SLAM 92.7. Having done her own mock radio shows in the comfort of her own bedroom perfecting her radio personality ‘Sweet T’, she more then jumps on the chance at the internship.

She’s given the chance to co-host a show each night at the station. Using the name ‘Sweet T’ no one knows who she is. The various characters at the station are all funky personalities of their own. With the help of these quirky characters she’s able to come further out of her shell. Even with how shy she was she worked through each night much to the help of the staff at the station. With her love of music, dream to be a DJ and the help from some new found friends she does more then find a voice. She finds the strength to take a chance and to stand out without being actually seen.

Gavin is the cute boy from school who she gets partnered with and turns out has more then music in common with her. He likes her because when she has something to say it’s usually more then worth listening to.

Srinking Violet is a great story about understanding what you want and finding a way to make it through even if you have to struggle. To let people in because they just might be able to help you along the way and learning that it’s okay to have a voice.

The storyline and characters were entertaining and likeable. The plot lines were all tied up nicely… from the crazy mother, body image, confidence and extreme shyness - were all portrayed nicely and covered many different ways how to deal with these and various other issues we face from time to time throughout life.

I enjoyed Danielle Joseph’s writing style and will be on the look out for further books from this author. If you’re a lover of music and are shy yourself, or just like a quirky and fun… yet light read be sure to check it out!

FTC Disclaimer: I DID pay for this book and have NOT been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

2 comments:

  1. good review I would like to read this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessilyn! I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love